Friday 29 January 2016

My Favourite Books

I thought - in keeping with me "epic-journey-to-authorhood" - I'd share with whoever cares, really... my favourite books!
You're not interested?
I am!

Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS is astonishing! That is the only word I can use to describe "Northern Lights" (The Golden Compass to you American folks... Why do you get altered book/movie titles? If anybody knows, please comment...) "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass".
The world he's created amazes me to this day. And the thought that each of us could have our souls walks next to us as a dog, a golden monkey or a gigantic snow leopard excites me way too much. Mr. Pullman: Thank You.


I've said two days ago that I loved "Holes" from the off. If you've read it, I think you can figure out why. If you've not yet discovered Camp Green Lake... sorry, but there's no lake there.


I have read much of Gaiman's work.
I actually think that "Stardust" is his only novel I've gotten round to. And I very much plan on devouring more.
If you've seen the film - which I have and I loved it! - the book is so much shorter and so much better. It's extremely whimsical and airy-fairy, and I absolutely adore Gaiman's descriptions of Wall and the world beyond... If you haven't seen the film: See it! But read the book first. The book is amazing!


(Ohhhhh..... That's a blurry picture...)

I've said it already, and I'll be damned if I don't say it again.
I cannot get enough of "Skulduggery Pleasant". Honestly.
The magic system is amazing.
The action sequences are probably the best I've ever read.
It's an adventure story, a monster movie, a who-done-it, a revenge tale, an invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-homage, superpowered, sci-fi, war, apocalypse tale that just... glows really.
And, on top of their wicked plots and themes, these books are the funniest I've ever had the joy to read. And I have read... not as much as others, but enough, and that counts for something!!!!
Yes. It does.
Hush now...

I can't tell you how much I adore each and everyone of these fourteen books.
I truly cannot but it into words.
Sorry about that...
(And if you're wondering "WHERE THE HELL IS HARRY POTTER?????????" I must nudge you to the scrolly thing to the right.
'Til the morrow, Stranger-reading-random-blog-post...
I bid thee Adieu...

No comments:

Post a Comment